President Pranab Mukherjee has given his nod for the appointment of Sathasivam as the next Chief Justice, official sources said.
64-year-old Sathasivam joined as a permanent judge of the Madras high court in January 1996 after which he was transferred to the Punjab and Haryana high court in April 2007.
He was appointed as a Supreme Court judge on August 21, 2007.
Sathasivam, who will be the 40th CJI, will have tenure till April 26, 2014.
The incumbent Chief Justice retires on July 18 after having a little over nine months tenure. Kabir was appointed CJI on September 29 last year.
P. Sathasivam appointed be the Next Chief Justice of India
Jagran Josh recommends this article for
Bank Exams, MBA Entrance Exams, Civil Services Exam, SSC Exams
About P. Sathasivam
• He was appointed as a Supreme Court judge on 21 August 2007
• As the 40th CJI, he will serve the nation till his 26 April 2014
• In January 1996, he joined Madras high court as a permanent judge
• In April 2007, he was transferred to the Punjab and Haryana high court
• He was born on 27 April 1949
• P. Sathasivam is a B.A., B.L.
• He was enrolled as an advocate on 25 July 1973 at Madras
• He has practiced in all types of Writ, Civil and Criminal matters, Company Petition, Insolvency Petitions, Habeas Corpus Petitions both on Original and Appellate sides of the Madras High Court
• He has served as Government Advocate, Additional Government Pleader, Special Government Pleader in the Madras High Court
• He has also worked as Legal Adviser for several State owned Transport Corporations, Municipalities, Nationalized Banks and more